MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Walterboro family climbs out window to escape house fire Tuesday

Azalea Drive fire, Walterboro, June 5 (Photo provided)

Firefighters say a Walterboro family of four safely escaped their burning home Tuesday morning as fire filled the house with flames and smoke.

Colleton County Fire-Rescue Chief Barry McRoy says his crews arrived at the home on Azalea Drive a few minutes after 3:45 a.m., finding tall flames coming from the roof.

The fire had started in the garage area, and flames spread to the kitchen and attic, filling the house with smoke, according to McRoy.

According to McRoy, the family was awakened by the smoke inside the house. The two adults and four kids climbed out of the master bedroom window to safety. The home did not have any working smoke detectors, McRoy says.

Working over the course of four hours, crews were able to successfully control the blaze so that the majority of the house and the family's personal items were saved, McRoy says.

Inspectors believe the fire started because of an electrical issue in the home's utility room, which was attached to the garage

The Red Cross is assisting the family.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending