MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Slager requests 'promises' made to man who recorded video of Walter Scott shooting

The former North Charleston police officer charged in the shooting death of Walter Scott has filed a motion in reference to the man who filmed the altercation viewed all over the world.

In the document delivered to the office of Solicitor Scarlett Wilson Wednesday, Michael Slager requested a list of all things provided to or promised to Feiden Santana by prosecutors or law enforcement officers.

The motion specifically references documentation related to “immigration assistance, criminal immunity, money or reimbursement on expenses, food, clothing shelter and transportation.

Slager’s motion makes it clear he is trying to identify if there were accommodations made for Santana to encourage his testimony and possibly reveal a motive or bias in favor of prosecutors.

Santana took the witness stand on November 4, 2016 and said he feared for his safety after recording the video.

During testimony Santana told jurors he was one of three people at the scene of the shooting; one was dead and the other was telling a version of the story he didn't see on his phone’s camera.

And that scared him, and that's why he signed on to do several national media interviews in the weeks after the shooting, he said.. Santana said he also told police officers at the scene he was a witness to the shooting.

"I witnessed what happened there as a way to let them know that what I saw was an abuse -- that I know something," he told the jury.

But the process to get the video to police was a long one, and it was seen by many people before investigators made contact with Santana.

According to Santana, he first showed the video to people at a Mexican grocery near the scene of the shooting. He then showed it to a close friend and client at the barber shop where he was working.

In conversations with that friend is the first time discussions of being paid for the video came up. It had been hours since the shooting.

He said he also spent time looking for an attorney who would give him protection.

Santana eventually signed on with Rep. Todd Rutherford, who worked as a liaison with various media companies to get Santana interviews with NBC in New York. He appeared on The Today Show, MSNBC, and other shows. During cross-examination, defense attorney Andy Savage pointed out Santana had also signed on with an Australian celebrity agent and was being paid $2,000 per week for appearances.

Michael Slager’s state trial ended with a mistrial ruling. He recently filed for a public defender in advance of his federal civil rights trial scheduled for May and his state retrial scheduled for late August.

Trending