Attorney: Officer who shot man Saturday believes he followed proper procedure

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- The attorney for a North Charleston police officer who shot a 50-year-old man during a confrontation at a traffic stop Saturday says his client believes he followed proper procedure.

The incident began about 9:30 a.m. Saturday when Officer Michael Slager, 33, pulled 50-year-old Walter Scott over for a broken tail light at the corner of Remount and Craig roads.

Police and witnesses say Scott tried to run from Slager before turning to fight for the officer's Taser. It was during that scuffle that the officer fired his service weapon, fatally wounding Scott.

According to an incident report, officers heard Slager say over the radio that he had deployed his Taser and "seconds later" he said "Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser."

Attorney David Aylor released a statement Monday that reiterated the police report.

"This is a very tragic event for all of the families," Aylor said. "I believe once the community hears all the facts of this shooting, they'll have a better understanding of the circumstances surrounding this investigation. Officer Slager believes he followed all the proper procedures and policies of the North Charleston Police Department."

Police said Monday that Slager, who has been employed with the NCPD since December 2009 after serving in the Coast Guard, was placed on administrative duty.

Scott's family and friends gathered Sunday at the spot where Scott took his last breath.

"I still don't believe it to this day that he is gone," said Anthony Scott, Walter's brother. "It happened so sudden and there is still so many unanswered question, it's just hard to believe."

Anthony Scott says the story coming from police officials doesn't sound like his brother.

"My brother is a kind and sweet person," said Anthony Scott. "He talked to everybody, knew all our family members by name, anybody that came in touch with Walter loved him."

Anthony Scott says his brother leaves behind a fiancee, kids, two siblings, parents and lots of people who say they loved him. Anthony Scott says he is going to miss watching football with his brother.

"He loved the Cowboys. We had planned to go to go see them play but I guess that won't happen now," said Scott surrounded by family.

Those who went to gather to remember Scott prayed, gave speeches, and placed flowers in the spot they say he died.

Local community activists placed signs near where Scott died that read "Black Lives Matter," and "Was It Necessary?"

Members of the local chapter of NAACP, the National Action Network, and the People's Coalition say they want to make sure a fair investigation takes place into the officer-involved shooting.

Family say they won't rest until they know exactly what happened between the time he pulled over into the Advanced Auto Parts store parking for the traffic stop until the moment he died near a pawn shop up the street.

"All we want is the truth, and we'll go through anything to that so my brother can rest in peace," said Scott.

The State Law Enforcement Division has taken over the investigation.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off