Man dies after standoff with Goose Creek police, SWAT

GOOSE CREEK, S.C. (WCIV) -- A Goose Creek man died early Wednesday morning after a standoff with police and SWAT officers after police say he barricaded himself inside his home and threatened to kill his wife.

According to officials, there was a reported domestic violence incident around 9 p.m. at the McClain Street home near Red Bank Road.

The Berkeley County Coroner has identified the suspect as 57-year-old Brian Eugene Rice of Goose Creek. An autopsy will be conducted and more information will be released at a later date.

A report from Goose Creek police says officers met with a woman and her 14-year-old daughter who said Rice threatened to shoot her in the head if she didn't leave. In 911 calls, the woman said she ran from the home and helped her daughter climb through a bathroom window to safety.

"I don't know what's happened to my husband but he just pulled four guns on me," the woman told a 911 dispatcher. "He told me to get in the car and leave. And so I did."

When officers arrived and identified themselves, they heard two shots fired, police said. The report states officers set up a perimeter and evacuated nearby residents out of caution.

Police also called in crews from the Berkeley County and Charleston County sheriff's offices.

The woman told dispatchers she was worried and that he was having problems with medication. He had recently been diagnosed with cancer.

"I just want him, somebody to come get him and take him somewhere and so we can go home," she told dispatchers.

According to the report, while tactical teams were assembling near the home, a Berkeley County deputy and a Goose Creek police officer spotted Rice on the railroad tracks between the back side of the house and Highway 52.

Police said gunfire was exchanged between Rice and the officers in which Rice was wounded. He would later die. The report states officers, bystanders, the woman and her daughter were not injured.

The death is being investigated by The Berkeley County Coroner's Office and the State Law Enforcement Division.

The two officers involved in the shooting were placed on administrative leave pending the SLED investigation.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off