20 SC farmers selected for Industrial Hemp Pilot Program
Farmers from 15 South Carolina counties will be a part of the South Carolina Department of Agriculture’s (SCDA) 2018 S.C. Industrial Hemp Pilot Program.
The SCDA selected 20 farmers to participate in the pilot program.
“The Industrial Hemp Pilot Program creates a new opportunity for South Carolina farmers to increase crop diversity,” said Hugh Weathers, South Carolina Commissioner of Agriculture.
The 20 permit recipients were chosen out of 131 applications.
Participants were selected based on the following factors:
- Agriculture experience
- Geographic balance across South Carolina
- Accredited college/university partner
- Purpose of the crop
- Processor experience and location
- Ability to secure needed equipment and financing
Pilot program participants are going to be working with following universities:
- University of South Carolina
- Medical University of South Carolina
- South Carolina State University
- Clemson University
- USC Beaufort
“This is a new industry for South Carolina, and we’re hopeful that these first 20 growers will lay a strong foundation for an expanded 2019 program,” said Weathers.