DSS: SNAP recipients can apply to replace lost food from Matthew


Department of Social Services officials announced Thursday that South Carolinians on SNAP can apply to get food lost during Hurricane Matthew replaced under certain conditions.

According to a release from DSS, recipients can "apply for a replacement of all or part of their October benefits if they lost food as a result of Hurricane Matthew and/or power outages lasting more than four hours."

The applications must be made in person at a county DSS office and recipients must bring proof of loss. The following documents are accepted.

• Newspaper Article

• Letter from the Red Cross or a Food Bank

• Website Printout Showing Outage or Loss (Examples: News website or power company notification of account outage)

• Letter from a Landlord

• Letter from an Insurance Company

• Letter from the Electric Company

To find a DSS office near you, visit the DSS Contact page.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off