Huger shooting victim bound and shot execution style, 3 men now behind bars

Pictured from left to right are Drake Campbell, Kenneth Campbell (in custody) and Jacob Mouzon.

Two more people were taken into custody Friday afternoon in the hunt for those responsible for the shooting death of a man in Huger.

That makes three of five suspects now in custody for the death of 27-year-old Kadeem Johnson (view photo).

Court documents show he died of a gunshot wound to the head at his home on Martha Lane. He was bound and forced to his knees while his home was ransacked. Johnson was shot execution style.

The two men taken into custody, Berkeley County Sheriff Duane Lewis said, were 17-year-old Jacob Mouzon and 18-year-old Drake Campbell.

The sheriff said they were captured at around 1:30 p.m. in an area off Highway 41, in the the woods near a horse trail. He said officers were tipped off by someone driving down Highway 41 in the area towards Jamestown.

“They were captured by Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office deputies and SLED’s hound tracking team,” Sheriff Lewis said. "SLED put the bloodhound tracking team on the ground with our k-9 officers as support and picked up the track real quick."

The suspects were tracked by the dogs for about four miles, the sheriff said.

The U.S. Marshals Task Force also helped with the search and is assisting the sheriff’s office with identifying the other two suspects.

As far as where those remaining suspects may be, the sheriff said he does not believe they are in the area officers have been searching. He said the ground search ends for now, until more information can be gathered.

The motive for the deadly home invasion is still unknown.

"We are hoping in the next day or so, we will have a better, clearer message of what the motive was in this murder that we have," Sheriff Lewis said.

Johnson was shot to death at a mobile home on Martha Lane at about 2:30 a.m. Thursday.

Deputies say Johnson and a woman arrived home to find the five suspects who forced them inside the trailer. The woman was also wounded. She suffered gunshot wounds to her chest and hands. Lewis said she is recovering and is expected to survive.

Two men are still sought in a deadly home invasion that happened in Huger Thursday morning.

Deputies say 25-year-old Kenneth Campbell Jr., of St. Stephen was caught Thursday near Eccles Church Road.

Campbell was alone when he was taken into custody.

Seventeen-year-old Jacob Malachi Mouzon and 18-year-old Drake Edward Campbell were caught Friday in the Francis Marion State Forest.

Drake Campbell is a former Timberland High School football player. Head Coach Art Craig confirmed Campbell was a star running back for the program.

"My heart is broken right now. I'm sick to my stomach. I can only pray this is a bad dream," he said.

All three suspects are charged with first-degree burglary, armed robbery, and murder for the trio. He says more charges are pending.

The two other suspects remain unidentified, Lewis said.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off