Holiday Helping with Dave Williams: Chicken Schnitzel
MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. (WCIV) —
What's the holidays without a favorite meal? Chief Meteorologist and food lover Dave Williams walks through the steps of making a must-have treat during the Christmas season.
It's chicken schnitzel, one of Dave's favorites.
- 4 4-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/8-inch thickness
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (for dredging)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (or more) whole wheat (or regular) panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges
Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place flour on a plate. Beat eggs in a shallow baking dish. Place 1 cup panko in another shallow baking dish, adding remaining 1 cup panko, or more, to dish as needed throughout process.
Working with 1 chicken breast at a time, dredge in flour, shaking off excess, then dip into egg mixture, turning to coat evenly; carefully coat with panko, pressing panko gently to adhere to chicken.
Transfer chicken to prepared baking sheet.
Heat 1 Tbsp. oil and 1 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 chicken breasts to skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides, 8-10 minutes.
Transfer chicken breasts to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.
Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil and 1 Tbsp. butter to skillet and repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
Transfer chicken breasts to plates and garnish each with parsley and a lemon wedge.