New report outlines first hours after assault and kidnapping case against Evans

Thomas Evans in Charleston County Bond Court (WCIV)

ABC News 4 has just received a 16-page supplemental report from the Charleston police department detailing the first discovery of a woman who was beaten and assaulted by a stranger and the tense hours as police realized that a child was missing from their Johns Island home.

At 5:50 p.m. on February 13, an officer did a welfare check at the home on Sweetleaf after a local school said two children were not picked up.

The officer says all of the doors and windows were locked, but reported seeing red smears inside.

Backup was called.

According to the report, the female victim came out the door and screamed for help, saying she had been attacked and she could not find one of her children.

She had injuries to her head and face and could not provide many details about what happened, only to say "he charged me."

She didn't know who and could only describe him as "skinny, kind of tall and maybe Hispanic," the report states.

When police entered the house, they say they discovered two rooms with blood stains, upstairs and the kitchen.

The report says an officer found a baby sleeping in an upstairs closet.

Water was running in the shower.

Another child was near her mother. Those three were transported to the hospital, two other children were collected from school by a babysitter.

Police could not find the four-year-old anywhere.

According to the report, three K-9 teams joined the investigation by 7:30 p.m, but were hindered due to wide contamination of the search area. It says there were multiple voluntary search parties.

Charleston County Police used thermal imaging cameras to try and locate the missing 4-year-old inside the house, looking in possible hiding places such as the attic, under counters in cabinets and in closets. It was then determined that the child was not in the home.

The report says that the next day, on Feb. 14 at 7 p.m., the family was notified that the missing child was located in Alabama. Police say the suspect in the beating, Thomas Lawtwon Evans, had abducted the child and transported her across multiple state lines.

After she was recovered in Alabama, the child’s father was able to accompany Charleston Police Department Investigators and a victim specialist to Alabama. She flew back to South Carolina with her father two days later.

South Carolina Victim Assistance Network provided crime scene cleanup and changed the locks in the home for free, due to the victim’s keys being missing, the report states.

We will continue to follow developments in the case against Evans.

He faces seven charges from the state and one federal count of kidnapping.

He's being held without bond at the Sheriff Al Cannon detention center.

(Editor’s note: In light of additional details revealed regarding criminal aspects of this case, ABC News 4 has removed references to the victims’ names in order to protect their identities in the future.)

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off