North Charleston Police Chief Leads Stop the Violence March

Stop the Violence march (WCIV)

The North Charleston Police Department rolled out a message on Wednesday.

A digital sign on Dorchester Road had a plea for help solving the city's first murder of 2018.

18-year-old Vaughn McFadden was shot and killed on Friday. Officials say there are still no suspects or motive.

Police Chief Reggie Burgess is making sure McFadden's death will not be ignored. Earlier this week, he took to the streets carrying a large sign that read "Stop the Violence". But on Wednesday, he was not alone, rather joined by dozens of others for a 30-minute march along several blocks of Dorchester Road during the rush of lunch-hour traffic.

"This whole weekend after I found out the young man Vaughn McFadden was killed, I tossed and turned this whole weekend," Burgess said. "I said Monday, I'm going to get out here and just walk around and try and get people to think about what's going on in the City of North Charleston."

Tessie Bush was among those who joined the march. Her son, 31-year-old Angelo President was shot and killed outside their home in May 2010.

"It happened in the Union Heights subdivision and sadly to say, the murder is still unsolved. We still don't have answers, I still don't have closure," said Bush.

Nearly eight years later, she still has hope, not only for her son's cold case, but other grieving mothers looking for answers.

"Oh definitely, I think there's somebody who knows something, not only for my son but the other unsolved murders and the young man who just died," she said. "Somebody knows something and I don't understand how they can sleep at night."

With 35 homicides, last year marked the deadliest in North Charleston history. More than half of those occurred within the first six months. While it's a stark contrast to the start of 2018, Burgess said it will take both the police and the community working together to keep it that way.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off