Mount Pleasant school lockdowns lifted as police locate "suspicious person"

Wando High School (File, WCIV)

Lockdowns at four Mount Pleasant schools Thursday have been lifted as Mount Pleasant Police continue to investigate reports of a suspicious person in the area of Wando High School.

Wando High, Oceanside Collegiate, Carolina Park Elementary and the Children's Center at Carolina Park all were on lockdown as authorities investigated between 12:50 and 2:20 p.m.

Mount Pleasant Police reported shortly after 2 p.m. they had located the suspicious person in downtown Charleston near MUSC, and were in the process of interviewing them.

MPPD spokesman Chip Googe says officers began investigating after receiving a complainant about a Snapchat video showing an allegedly armed person possibly flashing gang signs while at Wando High School.

The person who filed the complaint was a parent, and told MPPD she believed the person was there to possibly harm her son.

Dispatch supervisors with Charleston County's Consolidated 911 Center confirm Mount Pleasant Police were first dispatched to Wando High for reports of suspicious person shortly after 12:50 p.m.

Mount Pleasant Police say students and faculty were told to shelter in place until officers resolved the situation.

Police say rumors of gunshots being fired on the campus are false, and no students were harmed.

Parents of students who attend Wando tell ABC News 4 their children reported the campus was placed on "Code Red" lockdown while police on the scene investigated.

MPPD officials say more information on the incident will be released later Thursday. Stay with ABC News 4 for updates.

The Charleston County School District issued a statement:

Shortly before 1:00 p.m., Wando High School staff members received a report claiming an individual was on the school’s campus with a weapon. The report did not specify what kind of weapon.
Out of an abundance of caution, and with support from the Mount Pleasant Police Department, the entire campus was placed on emergency Code Red lockdown. This means students and staff were locked in the rooms they occupied at the time.
Police officers thoroughly searched the campus and actively patrolled the area. At 2:25 p.m., the Code Red was lifted after the person of interest was detained in Downtown Charleston. The school was then placed in a Code Yellow to allow for supervised movement within the school buildings.
Throughout the situation, all students were safe and watched over by school staff and law enforcement.
We want to thank the Mount Pleasant Police Department for providing timely updates on the matter while school and District security staff responded to the situation on campus.
As we often state, student safety is our district’s highest priority, and today, due to the response from the Mount Pleasant Police Department and our staff, we delivered on that goal.
We understand how difficult of a situation this was for our students, staff, and parents; we appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding during this matter.
close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off