MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Michael Slager seeks bond again after hearing state's trial timeline

Slager in court (pool photo)

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Attorneys for former North Charleston police officer Michael Slager have requested another bond hearing after prosecutors said last week that they don't want his trial to start until November.

The newest filing recaps Friday's status hearing, showing that Slager's attorney Andy Savage filed a speedy trial motion as soon as Solicitor Scarlett Wilson said she wanted to try the case in the latter part of the year.

Wilson cited an order of protection from Judge Richard Gergel and the state's Supreme Court that starts next year and continued until six months after the Dylann Roof murder trial has ended.

Savage argued for a spring trial in the hearing, but Monday's filing showed that "outstanding discovery issues will prevent this case from being heard before Spring of 2016."

Savage goes on to say that because of the order of protection for the solicitor's office, the court should reconsider releasing Slager on bond.

In the last bond consideration hearing before Judge Clifton Newman, Newman said Slager's release "would constitute an unreasonable danger to the community" and denied the motion.

Slager has been housed in isolation at the Charleston County Detention Center since his arrest in April. If he is denied bond again, he could spend close to two years in solitary confinement before going to trial.

Savage cites an unnamed health condition that forces Slager to choose between eating food that will make him sick and going hungry.

A new bond reconsideration hearing has not been set, according to online court records.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending